Thursday, July 1, 2010

Family Fun Vacation Through History

Valley Forge

This summer I took my family on a week long trip of fun and history. We started by visiting Valley Forge in Pennsylvania. I strongly feel that our children do not learn enough about our nation’s history in school and as parents it is our role to teach them what our school systems refuse to. Overall the trip was fantastic not only for me, but my children. We walked away from it at the end of the week with great memories and to my surprise they learned more than I expected by listening to the tour guide facts and my ramblings along the way.
The first stop was Valley Forge. This was my first visit to the 9000+ acre park and I have to say it was amazing. Not only could you close your eyes and feel the history imbedded in the grounds it was also amazing landscape. It was almost a spiritual experience for me to say the least. Knowing that I was standing on the grounds of the famous Fort the General Washington used as his winter encampment was bone chilling. Knowing that over 2000 men lost their lives due to exposure and starvation during the long winter months at this very location brought tears to my eyes. The ultimate sacrifices that these men made to fight for the cause of liberty is not truly understood by many Americans today. When you go and stand under the giant memorial arch and look up at the inscriptions it’s hard not to think about these men and their suffering. It was so amazing that words cannot capture the feeling I felt. I mean not only did we spend a few hours walking along a beautiful park we were able to walk the grounds that General George Washington himself walked. We were able to visit the small home which served as his headquarters. I strongly encourage all of you that have the chance and ability to visit such a magical place as this to please do so. It is indescribably one of the best places in our history I have had the honor of visiting.

Independence Hall and Philadelphia

Our second stop was Independence Hall and the surrounding area of Philadelphia. Again another amazing experience to say the least. This area was such a focal point for the early stages of this country one cannot help but feel overwhelmed with the history that surrounds them. You get chills as you look upon the George Washington statue in front of the hall, or gaze upon the Liberty Bell, or even as you look upon the graves of Benjamin Franklin and the 13 signers of the Declaration of Independence buried there. To see the houses on where Betsy Rose created our flag and where Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence. Again words cannot describe the feelings you get as you walk the same paths that Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and George Washington walked during the most crucial time in American history. Again I feel that ever American should visit these historical areas for themselves at least

I was fortunate enough to be able to take my family on such a trip. We also ended the week long journey, after stopping for alittle relaxing fun on the beach at Atlantic City, by seeing the sights in Washington DC. I made DC fun for them by making the connection between specific areas to areas seen in movies that they watch like Night at the Museum 2. That really helped heightened the experience. I was told by Christopher that he wants to grow up and make a statue in Washington like the ones we saw. I walked away not only with a renewed sense of patriotism for my country, but also a bonding experience with my children…one I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment